zondag 13 maart 2011

The Aviator

No this message is not about the movie, it's about sunglasses. Not what you had expected, I guess. We have all seen people wearing sunglasses with the large frames and the reflective lenses, like this :


But what about the history behind these sunblockers? Their name comes from the teardrop shape which resembles the design of the Ray-Ban flying goggles that the company sold to the US Army and the Navy some 60 years ago. The Aviator became a well-known style of sunglasses when General Douglas MacArthur landed on the beach of the Philippines in World War II. Photographers snapped several pictures of him wearing these sunglasses for the newspapers. I have my own set of Aviators and I'm really happy with them. The first time I ever saw them was in the movie 'Top Gun' where Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer wear them almost constantly.



1 opmerking: